• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need someone to decipher . . .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrs Sully

What is the name of your state? PA/NJ

My mom is a beneficiary in her aunt's will. She received a letter in Aug '07 from the executor. Can someone decipher what these statements mean?

"As for the balance of the Estate, although no Federal Gift and Estate Taxes were owed, a return for the New Jersey STate Transfer and Inheritance Tax is being prepared and Filed. Upon receipt of the New Jersey Satisfaction in conncetion therewith, the balance of the Estate will be used to satisfy any outstanding EStstae debts and thereafter, final distribution will be made."

I guess I'm wondering what the NJ State and Transfer & Inheritance Tax is and how long does it take to prepare and file since this letter was sent last Aug. The executor will not return the beneficiaries emails as to what's going on. I've sent a letter requesting status of the probate from the Surrogate and I am still waiting to hear back.

Thanks!

Last edited:

anteater

New Jersey has both an Estate Tax and a Transfer Inheritance Tax. The Estate Tax is applicable to estates valued at $675,000 or greater. Apparently, the aunt's estate was valued at less than that.

The Transfer Inheritance Tax is not a tax on the value of the estate per se. It is a tax on the assets being transferred to beneficiaries. While transfers to spouses and lineal relatives are exempt and transfers to siblings have a small exempt amount, transfers to other beneficiaries get hit pretty hard - starting at 15%.

I don't know what would be a normal time for the NJ Department of Revenue to OK the return. You will need to keep bugging the estate's personal representative.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">