• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by Deception/Car Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wingman8104

What is the name of your state? PA

I recently put a car up for sale in PA. I had several calls and inquiries and after a day I got a deposit from a potential buyer. The buyer said he liked the car and asked if I knew if there was any problems with it. I said the problems that I knew about the car at the time. It was a 1997 Jeep for $2000 at 133K

He brings his wife and son back and they take a drive without me in the car. They said they like the car, but want a lower price. I lower the price for them and all is well.

He calls again and says he can't find a seat for the car, which was damaged so he wants to make another price cut and I agree.

We go to make the title switch and he doesn't ask about getting the car looked at. We make the switch and he drives away in the Jeep.

Two weeks later I get a call from his wife saying that the car needs more work then was originally implied and that she wants her money back. She said she is going to call everyday until she gets her money, so I change my number.

She finds my mother's number and is now calling her.

She is taking us to small claims court for the $1750 we agreed upon.

wingman8104

Then why is she taking me to Court? If she understands it's her fault that she didn't get it looked at, is there a chance the Judge would throw it out? Per Chance...

CraigFL

Most people don't understand the "as-is" used car sales laws. Some don't believe them or some think they are above it. Learning them in front of a judge is a sure way to remember. Unless you made specific warantees or maliciously lied about the condition of the car, you will be fine. It is unfortunate that anyone can sue anyone, anytime since there is noboby checking the validity of cases before the judge hears it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">