• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Intestate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCWalt

What is the name of your state? NC

My mother-in-law died intestate. Seventeen years before her death, she re-deeded the home she'd built with her deceased first husband (with whom she had both my wife and her sister) to include the name of her new husband. The Grantee line now reads "Jeanette S. Jones and husband, Andrew Leonard Jones."

The home was built on land that had been owned by my wife's mother's family for over 150 years.

I'm already familiar with NC's intestate succession laws. My problem is that I can't find information specifying whether or not the jointly owned home should be included in the estate to be divided following those laws.

Basically, I need to know if, given that half the home was owned by Jeanette at the time of her death, NC law provides for half the value of the home being split between the surviving second husband and each of the decedent's two adult daughters, or if all the contents of the deed immediately transfer to the husband (the "co-owner" on the Grantee line of the deed).

Given the greatly increased number of second marriages today, I wouldn't think NC intestate law would leave children without a legal claim to their ancestoral property, but who knows?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Dandy Don

Please go to the duplicate posting of this same message board and delete it.

Are you the executor of this estate or not?

House now belongs to the new husband. However, the land has separate title other than what the home has, so the executor needs to pay an abstract/title company a few hundred dollars (this is an allowable estate expense) to see whose names show as current owner of the LAND ONLY, so it can be handled during probate and changed if necessary.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">