• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary rughts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turtletop

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am the Great Grand daughter of the deceased. My Great Grandmother did have a will and left a Great niece as executor with beneficiaries as followed

5% Guardian (another great niece)
5% Executor (great niece)
90% to surviving grand children

The executor is a realtor and is insisting on repairs/remodeling of the house before it is sold. The guardian has went in soon after my great grandmothers death and cleaned out the house. How is the executor suppose to list all assets or even the great grandchildren, do they have any rights to her personal property?

The executor lives out of town as do all the grandchildren, the executor stays in the house (estate), but refuses any of the beneficiaries access to the house.

There were several bank accounts/cd's as well as cash on hand. Do the beneficiaries have any rights to requests records from the banks?

Please tell us what rights as a beneficiary do we have?

seniorjudge

If you are an heir (and I cannot tell from your post) then you should ask the court that the personal representative to be replaced with someone more to your liking.

Or you can ask for an accounting from the current personal representative.

But, before you do anything, go to the courthouse and pay for a full copy of the file.

turtletop

If you are an heir (and I cannot tell from your post) then you should ask the court that the personal representative to be replaced with someone more to your liking.

Or you can ask for an accounting from the current personal representative.

But, before you do anything, go to the courthouse and pay for a full copy of the file.

no I am not an heir. She refuses to sow us any documentation of her monies spent from the estate. We do know that she has cashed in 1 of the CD's so just wondering if we could request documentation from the banks?

Last edited:

turtletop

I am a great grand daughter and she named the beneficiaries as grand children I would assume that does not apply to great grand children right? Or is there more legality to this?

Last edited:
Heirs need to get involved

One of the heirs needs to get involved. An heir (someone named in the will - I'm confused about your posts, but you seem to be the child of an heir) has many rights, including the right to request an accounting from the exectutor or administrator, and the right to partition property, etc. The executor must file an accounting with the court, which should show the assets, payments, etc. As has been suggested by many wise posters, go get the file.

An hier can't generally get documents from banks, etc. outside litigation.

Last edited:

turtletop

One of the heirs needs to get involved. An heir (someone named in the will - I'm confused about your posts, but you seem to be the child of an heir) has many rights, including the right to request an accounting from the exectutor or administrator, and the right to partition property, etc. The executor must file an accounting with the court, which should show the assets, payments, etc. As has been suggested by many wise posters, go get the file.

An hier can't generally get documents from banks, etc. outside litigation.
I appreciate your reply. No I am not an hier, I am a child to an hier. I was just researching some information for the hiers and what rights they have. I have had no contact with the executor, because I am aware that she has no obligations to me. She has just refused to come forth with any information requested from the hiers. I have directed them to the courthouse to retrieve the documents that they are concerned about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">