• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed over car title too soon, didn't get my money for the car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simone13

What is the name of your state? NC
I signed my title and gave it to someone that was supposed to make payments. He only paid $95 and that is it. He won't answer the phone or contact me to work this out. Obviously a thief that took advantage of me. Does someone have legal advice?
Thank you

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state? NC
I signed my title and gave it to someone that was supposed to make payments. He only paid $95 and that is it. He won't answer the phone or contact me to work this out. Obviously a thief that took advantage of me. Does someone have legal advice?
Thank you
Sue in small claims court and prove your case .

dcatz

You actually edited to provide “more detail”?

No offense intended, OP, but you asked for legal advice and got the only advice there was to give. The SC jurisdictional limit in your state is $5,000, so I hope that your problem falls within that range.

Nothing that you posted makes out a criminal case. If you can’t, what you really need is practical advice. There are personal property exemptions, and you can’t garnish wages (if your “friend” works) in your state.

More than being told to sue (which you might have been guessing), you need to ensure that you get a judgment (highly likely, although you don’t mention a contract or anything else memorializing that “he . . . was supposed to make payments”).

Keep track of your guy, so that, if you do file, you’ll also be able to serve.

Look for assets, including watching the car, now! Assuming that you file and can serve, you’re likely to get a judgment. Before that becomes something that, together with a quarter, won’t get you a cup of coffee, think about how you’d enforce a judgment. Otherwise, consider this one of life’s hard little lessons.

Re: enforcing a judgment: if you know “guys named Guido or Vito, who have ‘connections’ in NC” (maybe that’s an oxymoron), google “self-help”. That’s legal and practical advice.

simone13

Thanks

I was in Italy for 8 years. So, culture shock after coming back is definately in effect.
I hope you are not a lawyer, cause you didn't help me but feed grief to this issue. Let me know if you have some effective idea. I think at this point it doesn't matter that I gave him the car early or not. Fact remains, I have a contract that shows he was supposed to pay me money and he made one payment, which means he understood his obligation, meaning the man owes me money regardless. Making him look like a thief. Now, the Sheriff tried to serve him already, but he is not answering the door. Hopefully they will catch him to serve him and if he doesn't show in court, that will all I wrote.
Good day

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">