• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emails. are they admissible in court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auth1

What is the name of your state? TN

I am in question as to whether emails are admissible in TN (davidson county) civil court. Specifically regarding a landlord /tenant matter. I believe that certified mail and or regular USPS (postmarked envelope) would hold more proof.....

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

Rexlan

Yes they are but they may be contested. I have used them successfully. However, even though they are delivered and opened, you have no way of proving that the intended recipient actually was the party who received or read the email unless they have replied to it. The only proof you can easily establish is delivery to a specific address.

You can also use a return receipt service for email for some additional tracking capabilities but you still have the same issue with proof that the intended party received/read it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">