• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Administrator is suing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onlyfair

What is the name of your state? NJ

Mom died intestate. Stepfather is admin of estate. He claims I took items from her house that belonged to the estate, and is now suing me (or the estate is suing me) for the "estimated cash value" of these items. However - the items he's damanding DON'T EXIST!!! I cannot hand over items that I don't *HAVE* and that exist only in his deranged imagination. Obviously, there is bad blood between us and he's launching an attack on me just for spite (plus he knows I'll have to pay legal fees, whereas fees for this "lawsuit" will all come out of the estate.

I'm seeing a lawyer on Friday but in the meantime.... how does something like this work?? What proof will he have to provide that I have these items.... or that they even exist in the first place??? His claims are completely arbitrary and I'm mad that I even have to "defend" myself against such nonsense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">