• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trimming Tree Branches

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CEL37

What is the name of your state?Hello All, I am new here. I have a question. I live in Texas and I have a utility easment that runs across the rear portion of my yard. My neighbor behind me, of course has the same easment.

He has a palm tree planted on the easment in his yard. For the past two years, I have been trimming back the palm leaves that grow across the fence over my yard. Do I have a legal right to do this?

I thought it was legal. When he saw me doing it this evening, he was not very pleased. I said that it was legal, but he said that it was an easment. So, anybody know if I can trim back those leaves even if it is an easment running across my yard? Thanks for any info!

Chuck
Texas

Ozark_Sophist

Trim away. Palm Sunday is this week. ;)

If your neighbor gives you flack, you could always say you will keep trimming to the property line or call the utility company to have them remove the tree entirely to prevent damage to utilities.

Rexlan

Trim away. Palm Sunday is this week. ;)

If your neighbor gives you flack, you could always say you will keep trimming to the property line or call the utility company to have them remove the tree entirely to prevent damage to utilities.
I agree completely and I would push it further and tell the neighbor that you will get the tree cut down as a safety hazard if he persists. You have an absolute right to cut the limbs crossing over to your property ROW or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">