• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims/collection questions - Ut. + Ca.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkizerian

What is the name of your state? Utah, defendant is in california now.

Short version of story.
I paid "friend" ~$3200 via check, and took a box of parts worth $1200. He was supposed to build me an engine. He has strung me along for two years and I recently found out that he had quit the job he'd worked here in utah, and moved to california. I went down to the shop he worked at and found the engine I'd dropped off, and he hadn't even unwrapped it from when I dropped it off. All of my parts are gone, and he will not respond to emails, phone calls and myspace contact(I tried everything).

I have the address he gave his former employer to send tax info to, a former employer, if I really hunt can get his last utah address, and I know his b-day but not exact year.... oh and his myspace page!

I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to throw the money into tracking down, serving, and collecting the $4400 debt.

How hard is it to find somebody?

Is there a way to get his social security info from previous employer? would it help at all?

If I do find him and he gets served, I'm thinking he wont show up so there will probably be a default judgement.

How hard/expensive is collecting?
$4400 is a bunch of money, but I really don't want to throw good money after bad if the likelihood of getting it back is low.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">