• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need Probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimbee1022

What is the name of your state? MN

My Dad died in Nevada (he was a resident)...I think that may make a differance. I am living in MN. When dad died we had a will all filled out, but he never got it notorized! I signed off on Funeral home papers (making me responsible) as the oldest living child. I have 6 other siblings. As a family we all got together and found out there was enough insurnace to pay off funeral home -almost about $600 short. The is no property of any kind other than a few personal items. Checking accounts have been closed, no cash found. All insurance was paid and went towards funeral home cost -because benficiary signed over all checks.
What has happened to make me wonder about probate is I received a check addressed to : the Estate of**************. with dads old address (Nevada) and it is for $500 for overpaid health insurance because of his death. I am unable to get it cashed. I have asked the insurance company to re-issue in my name. I have only original death certificate and papers from funeral home to show I am taking care of dads stuff. The insurance company refused and said I would have to wait for it to go to probate. I don't understand why for such a small amount of money I would have to go through that. Is the insurance company in the wrong for making me have to do probate. Lawyer fees are double what the check is worth, it would be just a well to tear up the check, but it sure would be nice to pay off funeral home!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">