• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption law in Texas, circa 1971

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amomatee

What is the name of your state? Texas

I found out this summer that I was adopted. Since then, I have found my birthmother and siblings, and just received my unsealed adoption records. I knew the adoption was conducted under shady circumstances, and the records confirmed this. The main things that I am questioning the legality of are:

1. I was given to my adoptive parents by a priest they knew. They paid for the birthmother's medical expenses. There was no home study done or anyone checking on me for the two years preceding my formal adoption. Is that legal? Can someone just hand over someone else's child to two people without any checks in place?

2. The home study, which was conducted almost two years after my birth, lists 3 character references. Only one claimed to know my adoptive parents and me. Two only knew my adoptive father, one of which said he'd never even seen me. Is it legal to use character witnesses in an adoption when the witnesses don't even know both parents or the child in question?

3. This is the most screwy one. The consent my birthmother gave to relinquish me. Her signature is dated 11 months after I was born, and was notarized 2 months after my birthmother signed! How is that possible, much less legal? Shouldn't that have sent up a red flag to the judge presiding over the case, that the birthmother's signature had not been obtained in a legally notarized manner?

I am so mad. I was thrown to the wolves as an innocent baby and no one even bothered to check on me. My adoptive parents didn't even pursue the formal adoption until 2 years later, presumably because if the court had denied their petition (adoptive mother was a severe drug addict/alcoholic and adoptive father was a convicted felon) they could have argued that it would effect my psychologically to be separated from them after that amount of time. What can I do about this?

amomatee

If indeed this was handled illegally, I want justice, just as any other victim would. I was wronged, my birthmother was manipulated, and someone should be accountable.

Ronin

Talk to a lawyer. In all likelihood the lawyer will tell you there is no legal recourse as any statutes of limitations would have long expired. But you won't know for sure until you consult with an attorney. You won't find the answer to your question with way too many unknown variables on this forum.

I am so mad. I was thrown to the wolves as an innocent baby...
Talk to a therapist. You may have to come to terms with the fact that you need to let go of the past, and hopefully move forward to reconcile with mom and siblings.

Silverplum

If indeed this was handled illegally, I want justice, just as any other victim would. I was wronged, my birthmother was manipulated, and someone should be accountable.
I'm sorry to read you are so angry and frustrated. :(

But I don't think the law will bring you "justice," by anyone's definition, after all these years.

I do think that counseling and choosing to forgive and move forward has the greater potential to bring you out of your anger and into a happier, more peaceful life. :)

txmom512

There's most likely not a whole lot you could do at this point.... Back then it didn't take much to adopt a baby. It's tougher to adopt a Puppy these days than it was to adopt a baby back then.

A friend of mine was adopted in 1968. She found out her 'father' forced her 'mother' to give her and her twin brother up. The couple who took them broke up. That woman had the twins in her car, their stuff in a paper bag. When she pulled up to a gas station to get gas, the owner commented on how cute her babies were. The lady asked him if he wanted them.
It happened literally exactly like that!

The gas station owner called his wife real quick and told the woman yes. The woman handed over the babies and their things in a paper bag. Her adoptive parents didn't have to do much more than fill out paperwork.

My friend and her brother were really blessed though. Her adoptive parents ended up being SO wonderful....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">