• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boat ownership dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burnedbyafriend

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I entered into a verbal agreement with a friend to purchase a boat. I paid for the boat and the friend was to do work and other non-monetary things to get the boat usable. The friend insisted on shared ownership to ensure he didn't get taken advantage of for doing the work. So I signed a bill of sale (created on a home computer) with both our names on it as purchasers and I got the title from the previous owner, but all the money came from me. The work has not been done yet. I have the signed title from the previous owner and I have not yet applied for title or registration. The friendship and partnership is over because the partner's behavior has become frightening to me. He has not kept his side of the bargain, and expects me to keep spending money. How do I legally end the relationship? Can I apply for title and not put his name on it? The Virginia DMV website says if there is a bill of sale, all names on the bill of sale must be on the title, but I am not sure if that is when the bill of sale is for the original sale and there is no title. As the title is signed by the previous owner, but not filled out, I'm not sure how to proceed. I don't want to do anything illegal, but I want to protect my financial investment, and the partner is refusing to end this amicably. What can I do? What are my rights? I'm actually becoming quite frightened by his behavior, and I am thinking eventually it will lead to a restraining order - which is another issue. I just want to legally put the boat in my name or sell it and get out of this relationship before it gets any scarier. Does he have any legal right to the boat if I paid for it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">