• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will he need to emancipate to live alone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heather2

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hey I was just curious if anyone knows what age you become an adult in Alabama? My friend's mom lives in Alabama and she says it's 19 but that just doesn't make since because you can vote and serve for your country at 18. So if it is 19 does that mean someone will have to emancipate to live by themself at 18? Thanks for any information.

VeronicaLodge

in MS you can vote and serve in the army at 18 but you are not the age of majority until 21 and you can't sign a contract for yourself.

mommyof4

Age of majority in Alabama is 19. If this is your same delinquent boyfriend, it doesn't really matter. He's on probation until he is 19. The state has control of his life and choices until he reaches 19, no matter WHAT the actual age of majority is.

Section 26-1-1, Code of Alabama
Age of majority designated as 19 years.

(a) Any person in this state, at the arrival at the age of 19 years, shall be relieved of his disabilities of minority and thereafter shall have the same legal rights and abilities as persons over 21 years of age. No law of this state shall discriminate for or against any person between and including the ages of 19 and 21 years solely on the basis of age.

(b) This section shall also apply to any person who arrived at the age of 19 and 20 years before July 22, 1975, but shall not abrogate any defense or abridge any remedy available to him prior to such date.

(c) All laws or parts of laws which read "under the age of 21 years" hereafter shall read "under the age of 19 years." Wherever the words "under the age of 21 years" appear in any law limiting the legal rights and abilities of persons under such age, such words shall be construed to mean under the age of 19 years.

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (c) of this section, nothing in this section shall be deemed to repeal any provision of Chapter 19 of Title 15 of this Code.

(Acts 1975, No. 77.)

Section 30-4-15, Code of Alabama
Married women and widows 18 years of age and over relieved of disabilities of minority. The marriage of any woman in this state who is under 19 and over 18 years of age, or the widowhood of any woman in this state who is under 19 and over 18 years of age, or the arrival at the age of 18 years of any married woman or widow in this state, has the effect immediately to remove her or their disabilities of minority; and thereafter she has the same legal rights and abilities as married women or widows over 19 years of age.

(Code 1896, §2531; Code 1907, §4499; Code 1923, §8274; Acts 1927, No. 414, p. 482; Code 1940, T. 34, §76.)

Section 30-4-16, Code of Alabama
Married men and widowers 18 years of age and over relieved of disabilities of minority; defenses and remedies not affected by section. The marriage of any male person in this state who is under 19 and over 18 years of age, or the widowerhood of any male person in this state who is under 19 and over 18 years of age, or the arrival at the age of 18 years of any married male person or widower in this state, has the effect immediately to remove his or their disabilities of minority, and thereafter he has the same legal rights and abilities as married male persons or widowers over 19 years of age.

This section shall apply to a person who married before October 29, 1959, but shall not abrogate any defense or abridge any remedy available to him prior to October 29, 1959.

Heather2

Age of majority in Alabama is 19. If this is your same delinquent boyfriend, it doesn't really matter. He's on probation until he is 19. The state has control of his life and choices until he reaches 19, no matter WHAT the actual age of majority is.
I ain't worried about him getting off probation. We need to move to AL to take care of stuff and he needs to be on the lease living with me which means I need to know if he is able to sign a contract and live without a guardian. He is from AL and had to interstate compact to TX but we need to go there. Yes we are both deliquent's most people on here asking questions are.:D

mommyof4

He cannot legally sign a contract until he reaches the age of 19 in Alabama. No matter how many times you ask this in however many ways, the answer doesn't change.

Heather2

He cannot legally sign a contract until he reaches the age of 19 in Alabama. No matter how many times you ask this in however many ways, the answer doesn't change.
How can the answer change when I haven't gotten one yet?:D Someone answered about another state and you only said 19 is the age of majority like I know that means he can't live on his own? So people have to live with their parent's until 19. I really doubt that. But thanks all the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">