• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! What to do**************.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bricklmb

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My great grandmother recently died at the age of 104. She has been the deed holder of a family plot in a Topsfield, MA cemetery. At the time of her death, while she is in the casket at the funeral home, the cemetary calls and says there is not enough room for her in the plot. WHAT!!!! Now, we had to cremate her, and fit her in. The cemetery people said there is "stuff" in there, no room for a coffin. We have the plans of the grave, there was room for 4 people, my great grandmothers husband, his parents, all deceased. Then my great grandmother. All names are on the gravestone. My question is, how does the cemetery have the right to open the grave and bury in it without my great grandmothers permission? She never heard boo from them. Also, how can a cemetery fill up a grave with unauthorized "things", when someone is still alive? I know this is not right, the funeral home told us they have never heard of a thing like this happening, they have been very comforting to us in this turn of events. The cemetery on the other hand is rude and won't even speak to us. HELP!!!! We have now had to cremate a woman who didn't believe in it, and deal with this issue, as we know someone made a huge mistake.
Thank you.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Logic would indicate it's "stuff" that can't be removed. I mean, you don't mean the cemetery was using that plot for storage, right? Are we talking about bedrock? A large root system? Water? Oil?

cemetery records

The executor of g-grandmother's estate needs to ask the cemetery for the records of who (what? :eek:) is buried in the plot. The plot is the property of the estate, and the executor has the right to the information. If asking firmly (but nicely) fails, someone should run down to court and get a temporary restraining order, requiring the cemetery to comply and release the information.

Something is definately not right with this story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">