• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I file? Do I need an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missrussell1982

What is the name of your state? Looking for help in Phoenix, Arizona

This is kind of long story, so bear with me if I'm all over the place!! If you wish for further details, please call me 24/7 - 517-862-3901

My mom passed away in Phoenix, in Sept. 2007. i flew from Detroit to Phoenix to handle her matters. My mom had a storage unit FULL of stuff, homemade crafts, clothing, porcelain baby dolls (collectors items), and a few other items. My mom's best friend of 6 years, Sherry, offered to take the stuff out of storage for me, and sell it, and send the $$ to me in Michigan. I did not get anything in writing, I simply took her at her word. I did have one of my aunts, and my grandmother present when this verbal agreement was made, and they are willing to testify on my behalf. Sherry, my mom's so called friend, has been avoiding me ever since my mom passed. I've called SEVERAL times, sent emails, sent letters, and have received no response. Now, I'm trying to put together a memorial for my mom, so my family can attend, and the $$ from the stuff in storage would really help. So, I'd like to take Sherry to court. Do you think I'm wasting my time taking this to court since I do not have anything in writing from Sherr? Remember, I do have two witnesses to the agreement. Also, attorneys are so expensive, I'm not sure if I should hire one. In your opinion, do you think I should hire an attorney for this? I was going to sue for the full amount alloted by small claims, $3000.00. Which, since some of the items are handmade and priceless, $3000 is small potatoes!! I could always sue for more since I had to pay a PI $200 to find Sherry, and now I have to fly to Phoenix to go to court, which will run about $500 for the round trip airfare/rental car.

Again, here's my questions:

1. Do you think I'm wasting my time by filing? I'm not sure how the judge will rule since I do not have a written agreement, but keep in mind I do have credible witnesses.

2. Do you think I should hire an attorney? Maybe I will get more $$ if I hire one, but it will also cost me more!?

Thank you for your time. Sorry this was so long! I appreciate any thoughts you can provide, and i do understand that this is not "legal advice" but an opinion forum.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">