• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex refuses to return property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sellah

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

An ex girlfriend recently moved out of my apartment taking a box of my brother's personal belongings. I am going to assume that it was unintentional for the time being.

The belongings in the box are of no monetary value, but hold deep sentimental value for my brother. He phoned my ex girlfriend and attempted to get his box returned to him. She replied that she would not return the box until I payed money that was owed to her.

The money that she feels is owed to her, is money that I had been giving to her to help her with her finances before we broke up. For some reason, she still feels entitled to receiving money from me.

My question is, is what she is doing illegal?

From what I know, she has no right to withhold property and is currently using it as blackmail to get money which she feels she is entitled to.

If what she is doing is illegal, what can I do to get my brother's property returned to him and what sort of proof would help in a case of this nature?

I appreciate any advice/responses. Thanks in advance.

Hot Topic

The obvious question is, what was the box of your brother's prized possessions doing at your place?

Your brother should sue your ex in small claims court (I assume he has proof the items are his). By taking his things, she committed theft. By telling you he'd get them back when you paid her the money she thinks you owe her, she committed blackmail.

She'll need to prove that you owe her money.

sellah

The obvious question is, what was the box of your brother's prized possessions doing at your place?

Your brother should sue your ex in small claims court (I assume he has proof the items are his). By taking his things, she committed theft. By telling you he'd get them back when you paid her the money she thinks you owe her, she committed blackmail.

She'll need to prove that you owe her money.
Thanks for a response, it's appreciated.

My brother graduated college and moved in with me, so he had boxes of stuff at my house. The items in the box are definatley his, and many of the items are personal and have his name on them. There is nothing of monetary value, just things that are irreplaceable such as a book our grandfather gave to him before he passed on. I don't think proving the box is my brother's would be an issue.

At this point, I'm attempting to get her to write me an email saying that she has my brother's box and will not return it until I pay her. Hopefully this will be enough proof against her.

Again thanks for your reply, I'm looking for all the advice I can get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">