• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rules of Procedure in Civil Traffic Violation Cases, Rule 12

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigfoot_55

What is the name of your state? ARIZONA
Can anyone explain this "Rule 12". I am being told by a State Government agency that an officer is the only person to represent the State in a straight-forward civil traffic case. The local town prosecutor says that's BS. He tells me he has the right to represent the State in traffic court if he wants to. He states this "Rule 12" as his ticket to do so. When I asked the State Government if this was correct, they told me to go away and just listen to the proscecutor after repeadly telling me the town prosecutor can only represent the State in a crimninal case or if the State (police officer) was being sued. Something is not right here and I would like to understand this Rule 12 before casting any stones. If you read this and realize I'm in the wrong forum, please tell me where to go...not that way...I have posted this in the Lawyer Ethics forum and never received any replies. Thanks:(:mad::confused:

Rexlan

Google for Rules of Civil Procedure. Rule 12 has nothing to do with the issue. You probably have not give all of the facts either and it has nothing to do with ethics.

Generally the government is represented by the local DA or Commonwealths Attorney. The officer who issues a "traffic" citation is also required to be present but that officer does not handle the case. The county or municipal attorney represents the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">