• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Girlfriend Filing Harrasment Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AFCadetSteel

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Good afternoon FreeAdvice!

I'm posting this for one of my friends who told me of his issue and I became interested.
Working for my Criminal Justice Associates Degree, I decided to look a little bit more into his problem. Well, here it goes.

He started going out with this girl (We'll call her Sarah), when he was in 9th grade. (14 Years Old, the both of them)
Now their relationship went pretty well into the middle of their 11th grade year. Things started happening. They broke up, and about a week later, my friend broke his ex-girlfriends, new boyfriend's jaw. Pretty nasty wound...

Sarah then proceeded to talk to the principal of the school and her consular telling them that my friend had been harrasing her. The principal then goes on to talk to my friend instructing him not to make any more contact with her. Well of course he didn't listen. They had a class together. Half way through he wrote a note that said something like the following,

"Hey Sarah,

Ms. Linton talked to me and told me about what you said. I'm cool with not talking for a while but if you want to talk just call me or something"

Now after this, Sarah brought this note to the principal. The principal calls my friend down and explains that Sarah believes she is being harrased and told the student resource police officer that she would like to file harrasment charges. Now my friend has got a little scared and angry. He has talked to his lawyer and the lawyer said everything will be alright.

Now I would like to know 2 things,

1. What could happen to my friend, having formerly being charged with Misdemeanor Assault (Got dropped)
2. What can he do to avoid this?
3. Is this harassment? According to law.com dictionary, Harassment is defined as, "the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands"

I couldn't find the definition of harassment in Maryland State Law, if someone could provide me with a way to find it or the actual definition, it would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. For some final clarification, My Friend is 17 now, same with Sarah. My friend is an AFJROTC Cadet with hundreds of community service hours and pretty decent grades. (If this means anything :p)

Last edited:

Silverplum

Good afternoon FreeAdvice!

I'm posting this for one of my friends who told me of his issue and I became interested.
Working for my Criminal Justice Associates Degree, I decided to look a little bit more into his problem. Well, here it goes.

He started going out with this girl (We'll call her Sarah), when he was in 9th grade. (14 Years Old, the both of them)
Now their relationship went pretty well into the middle of their 11th grade year. Things started happening. They broke up, and about a week later, my friend broke his ex-girlfriends jaw. Pretty nasty wound...

Sarah then proceeded to talk to the principal of the school and her consular telling them that my friend had been harrasing her. The principal then goes on to talk to my friend instructing him not to make any more contact with her. Well of course he didn't listen. They had a class together. Half way through he wrote a note that said something like the following,

"Hey Sarah,

Ms. Linton talked to me and told me about what you said. I'm cool with not talking for a while but if you want to talk just call me or something"

Now after this, Sarah brought this note to the principal. The principal calls my friend down and explains that Sarah believes she is being harrased and told the student resource police officer that she would like to file harrasment charges. Now my friend has got a little scared and angry. He has talked to his lawyer and the lawyer said everything will be alright.

1. What could happen to my friend, having formerly being charged with Misdemeanor Assault (Got dropped)
3. Is this harassment? According to law.com dictionary, Harassment is defined as, "the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands"

I couldn't find the definition of harassment in Maryland State Law, if someone could provide me with a way to find it or the actual definition, it would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. For some final clarification, My Friend is 17 now, same with Sarah. My friend is an AFJROTC Cadet with hundreds of community service hours and pretty decent grades. (If this means anything :p)
Frankly, the very fact that he BROKE HER JAW is more than enough for me. If I were Sarah or her parents, I'd hunt him down and break his whole SELF.

Then the principal told him to leave her alone. He did not.

Whatever trouble he gets, he bought.

AFCadetSteel

Lord jesus, definiatly posted that wrong, he broke his ex-girlfriends new boyfriends jaw.

Dang, sorry about that, I feel like an idiot now.

Silverplum

Lord jesus, definiatly posted that wrong, he broke his ex-girlfriends new boyfriends jaw.

Dang, sorry about that, I feel like an idiot now.
Okay, then. He's still exhibited violent tendencies and an ongoing obsession with the girl.

I still say, he's one step away from an official restraining order from the court. He ought to tone his act right down from bright red to dark gray.

AFCadetSteel

Okay, then. He's still exhibited violent tendencies and an ongoing obsession with the girl.

I still say, he's one step away from an official restraining order from the court. He ought to tone his act right down from bright red to dark gray.
But would you really call that an obsession?

They went out for 2 years, and it had been about 2 weeks after they broke up indefinitly that all of this happened. (Harassment charges)

I see it as more of a longing to get her back, not an ongoing obsession.

To define obsession, "the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc."

After the note, he stopped contacting her. And it was the only contact after he was told not to contact her. And, it was completely harmless contact between 2 members of a longterm relationship.

It doesn't really seem to be persistent...

Silverplum

But would you really call that an obsession?

They went out for 2 years, and it had been about 2 weeks after they broke up indefinitly that all of this happened. (Harassment charges)

I see it as more of a longing to get her back, not an ongoing obsession.

To define obsession, "the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc."

After the note, he stopped contacting her. And it was the only contact after he was told not to contact her. And, it was completely harmless contact between 2 members of a longterm relationship.

It doesn't really seem to be persistent...
The broken jaw persists in my mind...I don't care whose it was, it was ABOUT the girl.

Silverplum

<snip>
Sarah believes she is being harrased and told the student resource police officer that she would like to file harrasment charges. Now my friend has got a little scared and angry. He has talked to his lawyer and the lawyer said everything will be alright.

1. He could have a restraining order placed upon him. At the very least.
2. Leave the girl alone. There's a zillion chicks out there. All he has to do is leave one of them alone.
3. If SHE feels harassed, it's probably harassment. Considering his record of violence regarding the girl, I'd agree if I were the judge.

Google under MD domestic violence to find out more about harassment. I've done my share of looking up law today. ;)

AFCadetSteel

1. He could have a restraining order placed upon him. At the very least.
2. Leave the girl alone. There's a zillion chicks out there. All he has to do is leave one of them alone.
3. If SHE feels harassed, it's probably harassment. Considering his record of violence regarding the girl, I'd agree if I were the judge.

Google under MD domestic violence to find out more about harassment. I've done my share of looking up law today. ;)
Alrighty, thank you for your time!

If anyone has any other input, please post, I want as much info as possible for him.

mommyof4

What legal ramifications is your friend facing for the serious injury to the guy? Surely that wasn't just hushed up. :confused:

AFCadetSteel

What legal ramifications is your friend facing for the serious injury to the guy? Surely that wasn't just hushed up. :confused:
He was charged with misdemenor assault (I believe). The new boyfriend and family asked for the case to discontinue and I suppose it did. I'll find out more later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">