• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old dating a 14 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ametsuchi

What is the name of your state? Arizona

ok i am 14 and i was dating a 17 year old we broke up for dum reasons and both still love eachother and it was a long distance realationship and we might get back together but he is coming here to visit and he is now 18...according to my friend it is illegal for me and the 18 year old guy to date even if we dont go any further than kissing and even with parent consent...is my friend correct??

mommyof4

There are no laws anywhere against DATING. However, if your definition of dating includes any sexually stimulating contact or activity it is illegal. Sexaully stimulating contact is not limited to touching or fondling of the genitals.

Your parents cannot make the illegal legal.

Ametsuchi

well what if my parents dont want us being together?...he lives in Tx and what if we do th long distance thing again?...would it change cuz diff laws?

mommyof4

well what if my parents dont want us being together?...he lives in Tx and what if we do th long distance thing again?...would it change cuz diff laws?
If your parents don't want you to have anything to do with this person, then that IS the law as far as you two are concerned.

Oh, and if he is sending you any sexually suggestive, explicit, implicit, wishful, hopeful, dreaming of the sexual future messages, IMs or pictures, he's got a whole new set of worries to deal with.

Really, now. You are a 14 year old girl who is going to limit herself to a long distance 'relationship' with someone your parents don't approve AND that is just ripe for legal consequences? BTW, YOU would not be the one facing any criminal charges, he would. So, do you like him enough to risk his imprisonment? A prison sentence is not an acceptable show of love.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
he lives in Tx and what if we do th long distance thing again?...would it change cuz diff laws?

Sure would. It would be EASIER for your parents to send him to jail.

If your parents say no, it is NO. There is NOTHING in the law that is going to force them to allow their minor daughter to have ANY contact, long distance, short distance, dating w/kissing, dating w/out kissing, text messaging, phone calls, IMing, voice messages, ANYTHING, with someone they do not approve. There is NOTHING you can do to force them to allow you to see, talk to, or have any contact with him. The law is NOT going to override them in ANY way under ANY circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">