• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued - Need Legal Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaniece28

State: Georgia

Being sued by Capital one. I was served in December. I filed an answer to the complaint. Capital one is stating I owe them 2200. Now I am being told it is 2400. I was recently served with discovery/interrogatory papers and I need to know what to do. Do I answer the questions and provide the documentation they are asking for or do I not answer them. The firm who is representing them is non-responsive and when they do respond it is three weeks later and I believe they keep adding interest onto the amount because as I stated, now the amount is greater than when the claim was filed. I only owe them 1400.00 and it has not even been a year and a half since the last payment and this whole situation began. Now I have these discovery papers and I need to know if I need to respond and send them the responses and documents or not and if I don't what will happen. I also need to know what to do in general. They are not willing to negotiate although they sent me a letter stating their client has given them flexibility in dealing with this and then they tell me to pay 1958 or else it will continue to escalate and then they will get a judgment against me. They also filed in Superior court which I do not understand how a 2000 law suit is in superior court and I think they are doing it so that the amount can continue to accumulate. Please advise. The main thing I need to know is if I need to respond to those questions. They say I have thirty days.

Ronin

If you owed $1400 a year and a half ago and $2000 now Capital One probably slapped you with close to a 30% penalty interest rate.

If you do not respond the court will eventually grant judgment against you for whatever they are asking plus interest will continue to accrue on any unpaid balances.

and those attorneys fees ...

in addition to interest, they are entitled to recover their "reasonable" attorneys fees. So, as the lawsuit progresses, both attorneys fees and interest continue to be added to the bottom line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">