• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Successor Trustee salary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taz1357

What is the name of your state? California

I am the Trustee of my grandmothers estate written and settled in CA, I live in FL. I have read that I am entitled to a salary for serving as Trustee. Is that true and if it is true, what is a reasonable salary and how do I calculate that?

The Trust has been open for over a year, it is very complicated and time consuming. I have kept track of my hours along the way. I have had to take time off of work, travel to CA and will now have to go back to CA. There are investment properties along with a residence that have contributed to the delay in closing the trust out.

Thanks,

tecate

If California law and court jurisdiction applies, there is no set schedule of what is reasonable. Practically, it is whatever the beneficiaries will allow without objection, but if you want more, then it is what a judge will allow. Because you are a Florida resident, Florida rules may apply.

curb1

From my experience, take the soft approach to charging what is appropriate. Document your activity very well so you can easily justify any expenses. I think it is important to remember that you are doing this for your family. The key is to be fair for yourself and also fair to the family. Be very transparent in everything you do. A good example is (are) your trip(s) to California. While you know it is not easy, make sure that the rest of the family doesn't look at the trip as a vacation. The last thing you want to do is get a few extra bucks while alienating some members of the family.

Dandy Don

Discuss this with a California trust attorney, as you may eventually need to hire one for consultation/questions if you come across something that is unfamiliar to you during your administration of the trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">