• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment/Adoption by Step-Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raeanne.holder

What is the name of your state? CA

Facts:

1) My sons biological father left us 2 years ago
2) My son will be 3 in July
3) My sons biological father does NOT pay child support and I have 100% legal and Physical custody! He didn't show up to court to fight for any of that!
4) My sons biological father calls every six months if we're lucky enough to be graced by his presence.
5) My sons biological father lives in OH or NC not sure due to lack of contact
6) I met a man in 06 married him in 07
7) New hubby wants to adopt my son

How do we go about this? Remember I have no knowledge of his biological fathers whereabouts! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? CA

Facts:

1) My sons biological father left us 2 years ago
2) My son will be 3 in July
3) My sons biological father does NOT pay child support and I have 100% legal and Physical custody! He didn't show up to court to fight for any of that!
4) My sons biological father calls every six months if we're lucky enough to be graced by his presence.
5) My sons biological father lives in OH or NC not sure due to lack of contact
6) I met a man in 06 married him in 07
7) New hubby wants to adopt my son

How do we go about this? Remember I have no knowledge of his biological fathers whereabouts! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Start here:
http://www.ncsconline.org/wc/CourTopics/FAQs.asp?topic=TermPr
And hire an attorney. It's NOT a do-it-yourself project.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This CAN be done (I've done it myself). I used a book from Nolo Press (nolopress.com) called Do Your Own California Adoption. It's not that hard, but you have to do it right.
With that said, that father of my daughter was out of her life for 17 years when the adoption was complete. You may have a tougher time of things, since it hasn't been THAT long.

http://tinyurl.com/2kyv3m

raeanne.holder

Thank you for the advice on where to start. I appreciate it. I just really had no idea where to even begin. Got to love lifes drama!! HAHA

raeanne.holder

Why can't EVERYBODY post like this poster???

Good luck Raeanne. To you and your family.

Thanks for the compliment! Just didn't want to get my emotions involved ya know? Just needed a little advice. I have a friend who's in law school and well she says the 1 mistake people make in court is letting their emotions get away with them. Just as a little story if you guys don't mind****************************The day I went to court for custody/visitation and my ex didn't even show up. I asked the judge for my ex to have supervised visitation only. Now I'm not afraid that he would hurt my son I was afraid it would be detrimental (sp?) to my son to be left alone with a man he didn't know. I wanted to say LOTS more than that to the judge regarding this A-holes character but I left it short and sweet and got my way! :D

Okay enough rambling! TTFN

Zigner

Thanks for the compliment! Just didn't want to get my emotions involved ya know? Just needed a little advice. I have a friend who's in law school and well she says the 1 mistake people make in court is letting their emotions get away with them. Just as a little story if you guys don't mind****************************The day I went to court for custody/visitation and my ex didn't even show up. I asked the judge for my ex to have supervised visitation only. Now I'm not afraid that he would hurt my son I was afraid it would be detrimental (sp?) to my son to be left alone with a man he didn't know. I wanted to say LOTS more than that to the judge regarding this A-holes character but I left it short and sweet and got my way! :D

Okay enough rambling! TTFN
Yep - it's all businesslike. That makes things smoother.
Oh, and for my kids (the mother didn't show either) I got supervised with the SPECIFIC wording "by a party approve by the Petitioner" And, after 10 years, believe me you, I am not going to approve of very many people, if ya know what I mean! ;)

Silverplum

Thanks for the compliment! Just didn't want to get my emotions involved ya know? Just needed a little advice. I have a friend who's in law school and well she says the 1 mistake people make in court is letting their emotions get away with them. Just as a little story if you guys don't mind
We don't mind ONE BIT! :) :D :)

We tell posters that ALL THE TIME and they almost never listen. They tell us we're *mean.* :rolleyes: We tell 'em we're being realistic. ;)

raeanne.holder

Yep - it's all businesslike. That makes things smoother.
Oh, and for my kids (the mother didn't show either) I got supervised with the SPECIFIC wording "by a party approve by the Petitioner" And, after 10 years, believe me you, I am not going to approve of very many people, if ya know what I mean! ;)

YUP! Same thing here. I actually appointed my mom!! HAHAHA! Good Times! She's the only one I feel is trustworthy enough to supervise. Oh and P.S. HE STILL HASN'T had any visitation!! But he did call on christmas!! What a man!!!!

Zigner

Mine's sent 1 BD Card, 1 XMas card and 1 "hello from Jail" postcard...that's for 3 kids over 10 years.
It doesn't help the kids any though :(

raeanne.holder

I'm telling you!! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! Of course the book went on my shopping list. My hubby and I are most definitely ready for the ups and downs of this battle!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">