• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get Plaintiff to file a Satisfaction of Judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlexaFL

What is the name of your state? Florida

A judgment was entered against myself, and I paid it in full within 8 weeks. I have a copy of the check constituting the payment. The plaintiff has yet to file the form pursuant to being paid the judgment in full, and I don't know what I can do at this point. (to get him to file a "satisfaction of judgment" on this.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

dcatz

Every state provides some mechanism – usually a motion/petition/application – that enables the court in which a judgment was entered to order that it be recorded as satisfied, when the judgment creditor unreasonably delays/refuses that.

It’s normally a very simple matter that requires presenting the court with sufficient evidence (receipt, cancelled check etc.) to show that full payment was tendered and received. The court entered the judgment and the court can order it satisfied.

In some states, the judgment creditor is required to take action within a finite or “reasonable” time and can be sanctioned for any expenses of motioning the court. Check your court and state statutes for specifics.

The question has been asked and answered before, and using the “search” function may be productive.

lorne

If the Plaintiff used an attorney for the case. Call the attorney, they are required to respond. It can be a headache if you wait too long. Like I said, if plaintiff had an attorney, contact he or she. They may take their time getting back to you, but it has to be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">