• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining a letter of Testamentary for transfer of stocks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Larrydlizard

What is the name of your state? California
My grandmother recently passed away and left me some stocks in her will she did not have much and as far as I know no Probate hearings were held in the county where she passed. However to transfer the stocks to my name I need a letter of testamentary from the court to have them transfered, how do I go about getting this done? Do I need it from the county where she passed?

tecate

Are the stocks worth less than 100k? If so, you may be able to give an affidavit under Probate Code Section 13101. I participated in an extensive thread about this a few months ago. If not, this means a probate. Letters are your written authority to act as the personal representative in a probate. The county in which she lived (which may not be the same county in which she passed) usually has venue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">