• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opening a Trust Fund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Divine25

What is the name of your state? California

My fiance has a child with his ex wife, now for her birthday I want to open a trust fund for when she is 18 or 21 so it could be used for college. I just want to know how I can go about doing that.

Divine25

Hello

Sorry didn't see that you had posted. Um can you give me an answer if I didn't want to chance if circumstances changed and an answer if i did want to change?

las365

I don't know the answer to your question about a trust, but I will suggest that you think about what you intend to do and why you are doing it.

If you want to give the child a gift, I think you should give it without a contingent plan to take it back. You could give her a savings bond.

If you want to save money that you may or may not someday use to contribute to the child's education or whatnot, open a savings account in your own name and start squirreling away money without making some big announcement that the account belongs to her.

A child who has already gone through her parents' divorce doesn't need their new girlfriends and boyfriends making promises of support and then taking them back later.

curb1

You open a 529 college savings plan. They are very simple and accomplish exactly what you want. They are also transferable to other siblings if needed. Funds accumulate tax free for entire time until withdrawn for college.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">