• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord/tenant problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ari939

What is the name of your state? rochester,ny

i moved out of my townhouse which i shared with my ex in dec.2007. he was abusive and i got an order of protection against him. then in feb the landlord called me and told me that he hadnt gotten rent jan or feb and that he wanted to evict my ex. so i used my order of protection against him and had him removed from the property by the police. then i paid half of what was owed to the landlord and signed a lease termination even though i didnt live there the two months thinking that this was over. i received a summons to go to civil court now because my ex still hasnt paid his half of the rent. i have no problem going to court because i still have the receipt from paying my half of the rent. he landlord is still owed 800 dollars from my ex. am i going to be responsible for half of that? or am i in the clear because i already paid half? i am worried and nervous because i scrapped up that money quickly so i wouldnt get taken to court. the landlord told me since we were both on the lease at the time that he had to take me?he made me believe that by paying him my half of the rent that i would be over and done w/ this situation. when really, i helped him, paid him and he took advantage of me.
thanks for you time,
ari smith

justalayman

if you were both on the lease, you were both equally liable for the rent and since apparently the LL cannot get the money from your ex, he is going after you.

Yes, you are liable for the rent, just as your ex is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">