• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defendant's failure to serve answer to complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MartyH

What is the name of your state? California

Question: If a defendant files an answer to a civil complaint with the court but fails to serve the plaintiff with the answer, can a default judgment be taken against the defendant?

Thanks.

Last edited:

generally, no. If the defendant continues not to serve you with documents as the lawsuit progresses, you can request that s/he be compelled to do so.

MartyH

generally, no. If the defendant continues not to serve you with documents as the lawsuit progresses, you can request that s/he be compelled to do so.
Thanks, Texas Pooh

I went to the court clerk's office and got a copy of the filed answer for myself. It was 87 pages of garbage which explains why he didn't serve me. I filed a general demurrer and motion to strike before the clock ran out and asked for a judgment on pleadings. Maybe I'll get lucky and roll him up at the hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">