• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Properties outside USA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firstdivorce

Hi, My husband filed for divorce. During the course of the marriage, he bough realstate property in other countries other than USA. I don't know any details about the properties other than a word from his mouth. Please advice how can I prove the same in courts?

mistoffolees

Hi, My husband filed for divorce. During the course of the marriage, he bough realstate property in other countries other than USA. I don't know any details about the properties other than a word from his mouth. Please advice how can I prove the same in courts?
Part of the solution may be the discovery process. You have the right to request information from him in court during this process. Have your attorney specify that he needs to provide information on "his properties in xxxxx and any other real estate anywhere in the world". If you know the country, that might make him nervous enough to disclose the details.

I don't know where you go if he denies it, though. Again, it's probably helpful if you know the country because there are ways to search for property ownership. If you don't know the country, it's going to be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Bali Hai

Part of the solution may be the discovery process. You have the right to request information from him in court during this process. Have your attorney specify that he needs to provide information on "his properties in xxxxx and any other real estate anywhere in the world". If you know the country, that might make him nervous enough to disclose the details.

I don't know where you go if he denies it, though. Again, it's probably helpful if you know the country because there are ways to search for property ownership. If you don't know the country, it's going to be like searching for a needle in a haystack.
This is not as big a problem as you might think. All OP needs to do is tell the court that there are real estate properties in other countries.

The court will then demand that the husband disclose those properties or go to jail.

If you think this is outlandish, there is a man that has been in jail for over ten years "suspected" of hiding marital assets.

mistoffolees

This is not as big a problem as you might think. All OP needs to do is tell the court that there are real estate properties in other countries.

The court will then demand that the husband disclose those properties or go to jail.
That is what I suggested when I said it would be part of the discovery process.

My additional comments were suggestions on what she might do if he failed to comply and there was insufficient proof for the court to take action.

Bali Hai

That is what I suggested when I said it would be part of the discovery process.

My additional comments were suggestions on what she might do if he failed to comply and there was insufficient proof for the court to take action.
My post suggests that the court doesn't need any proof hairbrain!!

mistoffolees

My post suggests that the court doesn't need any proof hairbrain!!
Let's see:

Judge: Mrs xxx, is there anything else?
Mrs. xxx: Yes, he has property somewhere else that he hasn't disclosed, but I don't know where it is nor do I have any evidence to support that allegation.
Judge: Mr. xxx, is that true?
Mr. xxx: No, your honor. I have no other property.

Sorry, but the judge isn't going to throw him in jail after that exchange. if she has any evidence to back her claim, he might. But the judge will not normally throw someone in jail simply because the other party suspects that there might be other assets. If that were the case, every divorced person in this country would be in jail.

Yes, you might find a case somewhere where this seems to be the case. First, I would state that I would not rely on a single case in setting strategy. There are lots of cases where judges have erred - but that doesn't mean you should assume that they will ALWAYS make the same error. Second, if the judge did throw someone in jail after the above exchange, there was likely some reason not to believe the denial.

Bali Hai

Let's see:

Judge: Mrs xxx, is there anything else?
Mrs. xxx: Yes, he has property somewhere else that he hasn't disclosed, but I don't know where it is nor do I have any evidence to support that allegation.
Judge: Mr. xxx, is that true?
Mr. xxx: No, your honor. I have no other property.

Sorry, but the judge isn't going to throw him in jail after that exchange. if she has any evidence to back her claim, he might. But the judge will not normally throw someone in jail simply because the other party suspects that there might be other assets. If that were the case, every divorced person in this country would be in jail.

Yes, you might find a case somewhere where this seems to be the case. First, I would state that I would not rely on a single case in setting strategy. There are lots of cases where judges have erred - but that doesn't mean you should assume that they will ALWAYS make the same error. Second, if the judge did throw someone in jail after the above exchange, there was likely some reason not to believe the denial.
And I THOUGHT in this country people could not be jailed because someone "suspected" you were guilty without proof???

You mean to tell me that all the patriots died in the revolutionary war for nothing?? Washington crossed the Delaware for nothing?? Paul Revere got up in the middle of the night for nothing?? Betsy Ross sewed the American flag for nothing???

How foolish I have been to think this!!!

fairisfair

If you think this is outlandish, there is a man that has been in jail for over ten years "suspected" of hiding marital assets.
I won't be participating in a telethon for this guy.

Not my choice for a poster child for anything.

http://www.judicialaccountability.org/articles/7year.htm

mistoffolees

I won't be participating in a telethon for this guy.

Not my choice for a poster child for anything.

http://www.judicialaccountability.org/articles/7year.htm
It's important to note that there was plenty of evidence against this guy. Claiming that $2.5 million was lost on a $5 K investment just isn't credible. Even if it were true, he should have been able to provide some documentation of that loss - which he apparently never did.

Bali Hai

It's important to note that there was plenty of evidence against this guy. Claiming that $2.5 million was lost on a $5 K investment just isn't credible. Even if it were true, he should have been able to provide some documentation of that loss - which he apparently never did.
You can't see that you have this whole thing ass backwards????

If someone is going to jail, the f***ing judges have to prove he is guilty with EVIDENCE that there was NO LOSS!! Not the other f***ing way around!!!

This is the very reason that men died to kick Englands ass out of America!!!

mistoffolees

You can't see that you have this whole thing ass backwards????

If someone is going to jail, the f***ing judges have to prove he is guilty with EVIDENCE that there was NO LOSS!! Not the other f***ing way around!!!

This is the very reason that men died to kick Englands ass out of America!!!
Let's see. The guy has $2.5 M which is well documented. The wife is entitled to a share of that. Somehow, he claims that the money magically disappeared - yet you think the wife should have to prove that it DIDN'T? Just how do you expect her to be able to do that? He's the one with the records.

And where is there anything in our declaration of independence that says we threw the brits out so that men could hide their money and make their wives destitute? I guess I must have missed that part.

Bali Hai

Let's see. The guy has $2.5 M which is well documented. The wife is entitled to a share of that. Somehow, he claims that the money magically disappeared - yet you think the wife should have to prove that it DIDN'T? Just how do you expect her to be able to do that? He's the one with the records.

There has been expert after expert tracing after this money. There is no money to be found. The money is GONE pea-brain or they would have found it!!!

Yet these a-hole judges with way the hell too much power to just simply toss someone in jail on a whim "suspect" he is lying!! They know the money is gone yet are making a "statement" to women for political reasons and take this man's freedom away from him. This is a sad case of horsesh!t!!!

And where is there anything in our declaration of independence that says we threw the brits out so that men could hide their money and make their wives destitute? I guess I must have missed that part.
Thank you for confirming your frame of reference (which I knew all along) that women need to be protected and men are scoundrels. The protection that women get are servitude the courts put on men to women!!

I challange you to find a remotely similiar case like this with the woman in jail!!

BTW- what color panties are you wearing tonight???

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Thank you for confirming your frame of reference (which I knew all along) that women need to be protected and men are scoundrels. The protection that women get are servitude the courts put on men to women!!

I challange you to find a remotely similiar case like this with the woman in jail!!

BTW- what color panties are you wearing tonight???
Do you always resort to stupid ad hominem attacks and strawman arguments after you've lost an argument?

I never said that women need to be protected nor that all men are scoundrels. It's interesting that you have to make things up since you're incapable of rational arguments.

What I SAID was that when one person has control of a substantial asset, they should be required to report on its status to the court. It doesn't matter whether it's a man, woman, or Martian. The person controlling the asset is the only one who can report on it.

If you were following along, you'd know that I dealt with exactly the same thing with my ex-wife. She was trying to hide assets and we forced her to divulge them. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender - no one should be hiding assets.

Bali Hai

Do you always resort to stupid ad hominem attacks and strawman arguments after you've lost an argument?

When I lose an argument I usually conceed that. Does this tell you anything??

I never said that women need to be protected nor that all men are scoundrels. It's interesting that you have to make things up since you're incapable of rational arguments.

What I SAID was that when one person has control of a substantial asset, they should be required to report on its status to the court. It doesn't matter whether it's a man, woman, or Martian. The person controlling the asset is the only one who can report on it.

Have you been reading the case we are discussing??? The husband DID report on it!!

If you were following along, you'd know that I dealt with exactly the same thing with my ex-wife. She was trying to hide assets and we forced her to divulge them. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender - no one should be hiding assets.
Well maybe you should contact these idiot judges who have jailed this man and tell them the technique you used to force your ex-wife to divulge the assets she was hiding!!!:rolleyes:

mistoffolees

Well maybe you should contact these idiot judges who have jailed this man and tell them the technique you used to force your ex-wife to divulge the assets she was hiding!!!:rolleyes:
They DID use the same method I used. They went to court and said "either you provide information on your assets or you go to jail".

The difference is that in my case, my ex provided the information. In the case you cited, the guy preferred to go to jail.

It was his choice. if his investment really lost $2.5 M overnight, he should have been able to provide evidence of that. Would you rather sit in jail than provide a copy of your statement showing that you lost $2.5 M? I sure wouldn't. I've have the evidence in the judge's hands that day --- assuming his story were true, of course. In this case, the guy apparently never provided any evidence to back up his claim. He simply stated that the investment lost money - with no documentation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">