• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bazja

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm 17, and I'll be 18 in less than half a year. My parents have been divorced since I was 5. My father is almost astranged, but pays my mother child-support monthly. I've been working a part-time job while going to high school for a little over a year now - my boss is like a father to me, he acts the way a parent should. On numerous occasions, my Grandparents have even offered for me to live with them, but fearing their age couldn't withstand my mother's mood swings, I decided against it.

This was sparked first a couple years ago when a scenario played out. She doesn't agree with me dating a guy 2 years older than me, yada yada. And threatens to send me to live with my father. My stepmother told me she doesn't want me living at his house with them.
The same thing happened again - different guy, but same setup. However, I know I did wrong by her this time, but I feel that she doesn't have the right to tell me who to date - especially when she can't find any grounds as to why it is wrong. She refuses to meet the guy, talk to him, or anything of the sort.

I know I haven't been the best daughter in the world, but I have a 3.8 GPA, a job, and a car. I have never gotten in trouble with the police before, or anything threatening to the schools I've attended. I believe I have shown enough responsibility to continue without her. Especially since I already have a plan if emancipation is an option.

Not to put her down, but looking at her from my point of view, she herself is a poor example as a parent. She is irresponsible, wild, and is supposed to be medicated with anti-anxiety medications, but is against the doctor's decision.

I want to know if emancipation is a route to take, and if so, could I be paid a form of child support?
If not, what am I supposed to do to?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If you're emancipated (which is unlikely to happen w/in less than 6 mos), you'd be considered self-supporting and so no child support for you.

And guess what? Mom has every right to tell you who you can and can't date while you're a minor. She can pretty well tell you the same once you turn 18 if you're living under her roof. 'Cause if you go against her wishes, she can toss you out on your pretty little tush. So maybe a better plan is to spend the time until you're 18 keeping on her good side while planning how you're going to support yourself after that.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
You want to be emancipated and live independently as an adult. You don't want your parents telling you what to do, but you wouldn't mind taking their money to finance your life? That's not independence, and it's certainly not adult.

Bazja

Just incase that did sound a little greedy, I didn't mean it that way. I can support myself, and I'd be glad to. I've been paying for most my expenses since I got a job; food, gas, clothing, school supplies, books, and the occasional entertainment. I know that I would have to work more to pay for other things, more important costs, but I'd be willing to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FYI, in Florida the ONLY way a minor can be emancipated is if her parent or legal guardian files the petition. If your mother is not willing to file the petition for your emancipation, it will not happen. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">