• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing over a referral

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anydun

What is the name of your state? I live in the state of Georgia, I was referred to an independent contrator by a friend of five years. I gave the contractor 1000 dollars to install carpet for me, he never installed the carpet and he will not return my phone calls. When I looked at the receipt he gave me for the money I realized his name was not on the receipt. I do have text messages to prove he was obligated to purchase carpet on my behalf, but I don't have his full name to locate him. I called my friend and she said she stated that I had nothing to worry about and that he would return my money. Time has passed no money and no carpet. I asked my friend for the referral's full name which I am sure she knows and she has not provided me with the information to date. Is it possible for me to take her to court for witholding information, I guess I am asking if she can be held as an accessory to fraud?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

What you do is start the lawsuit against the contractor as a John Doe, and then subpoena his name from the friend.

Not a simple task, however, and certainly not something that is easy to do yourself without an attorney.

This is a long shot, but you may want to get the police involved. If they ask the friend for the guy's name pursuant to fraud investigation, she would need to tell them or risk an obstruction of justice charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">