• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer still billing after Estate has been settled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jubes

What is the name of your state? Montana

I live in washington but the estate was dealt with on Montana since that is where my father lived and passed away.

The 3 children decided that we would take care of the estate as co-representatives. At first my uncle told me there was a will and everything was all set (he even said this in front of the first lawyer we the children hired) But when my Uncle found out the land my father was living on and the welding shop he had built was in my fathers name and not his moms my uncle got to say the least upset, he was already talking about plans to use the land and shop for his kids and had offered to pay all 3 of us kids 10,000 each to buy the welding shop and toold from us. (there was a 54000 mortgage loan against the property)

We the children just wanted our father personal belongings photos, shooting guns, camera etc. but the property all this was on even tho my father owned it, my grandma was a ( I forget what it is called but basically she can stay on the property until she passes on)

My Uncle took EVERYTHING that belonged to my father as well as stuff from the welding shop, we kept telling our lawyer we wanted a restraining order on him and a warrant to get the items back but our lawyer would talk to his lawyer and back and forth or months just racking up the bill..

Finally 1 year later it came to the point that us children were exhausted. We realized our lawyer wasn't helping us, we had to auction what was left in the welding shop and it came to 16,000 oddly enough a fraction of the price everything was assesed at as collateral for the mortgage loan. And all that money went to the lawyer.

After multiple attempts to just settle and multple draffting charges from my lawyer on settlements he would later back out on, we came to a final. MY uncle bought the land/shop from us children for 30000 and it singed away all of our rights to take him back to court to get the land back and no mention of the personal items.

Now the lawyer told us (and no we did not get this in writting) that he would drop the remaining charges. Which I felt was more than appropriate now it is almost 3 years after my fathers death and I am still receiving notices of 10,000 due to the lawyer.

This is bull! He helped with nothing we ended up just handing everything over to my uncle who had no legal right over anything that my father owned yet felt he was entitled to it. Is there anything we can!?

Also the first lawyer we hired dragged out the beginning not really getting into anything but charging an arm and a leg because he was going on to vacatuion and he then handed the case over to a new younger lawyer who was the one that kept draffting settlements that we'd sign and then backing out on them. Why we even had to deal with my uncle I have no idea the alwyer should have had him turn everything over to us this makes no sense to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">