• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is the law about adultery in GA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

korn_girl22

What is the name of your state? Ga

a friend of mine is going through a divorce. they are separated but not legally. and she has found out that he is sleeping with someone but only has proof that it happened after she moved out. can she use that as adultery? even if its not a legal separation?

Silverplum

a friend of mine is going through a divorce. they are separated but not legally. and she has found out that he is sleeping with someone but only has proof that it happened after she moved out. can she use that as adultery? even if its not a legal separation?
Google grounds for divorce in Georgia.

mistoffolees

Has either party already filed for divorce?

In Georgia, adultery is grounds for divorce, but so is the claim that the marriage is irretrievably broken. If she had already moved out, she could have claimed that the marriage was irretrievably broken before the adultery (if it meets that definition) occurred. So what does she hope to gain by claiming that he's an adulterer?

Essentially, it may be irrelevant to the court.

Silverplum

In Georgia, adultery is grounds for divorce, but so is the claim that the marriage is irretrievably broken. If she had already moved out, she could have claimed that the marriage was irretrievably broken before the adultery (if it meets that definition) occurred. So what does she hope to gain by claiming that he's an adulterer?

If you plan to make declarative statements, I'd like for you to provide a supporting link to a reputable site.

Otherwise, you're just telling somebody something that they can either believe or disbelieve.

It's up to you. There's no *law ;)* about it. But I think it makes a far better answer to provide a link to the law. :)

fairisfair

you see what you failed to mention is that the marriage being irretrievably broken is a NO FAULT grounds for divorce.

while ADULTERY is a FAULT grounds for divorce.

and the court most certainly DOES find it "relevant".:rolleyes:

mistoffolees

you see what you failed to mention is that the marriage being irretrievably broken is a NO FAULT grounds for divorce.

while ADULTERY is a FAULT grounds for divorce.

and the court most certainly DOES find it "relevant".:rolleyes:
You are correct, there are 'no fault' and 'fault' grounds for divorce in GA.

But my question still remains relevant. What is the OP trying to do with the claims of adultery? Without knowing that, it's impossible to answer the question. If they are merely trying to get out of the marriage, they can do it without claiming adultery.

But, yes, my answer was not complete and there is clearly a difference. It's just that you can't say how relevant that difference is without knowing the objective - which is why I said "may be irrelevant".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">