• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal wording question . . .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NITM

California. I have what I think is a simple question for someone who is familiar with the law . . . If two people are named in a civil suit (apartment rental unlawful detainer money judgement), is the "total judgement amount" stated (which is $2,300) the actual combined total for both people named in the suit, or is that what "each" of them will be ordered to pay? It appears to be the combined total, but since I'm unfamiliar with how these things work, I'm looking for clarification.

Thanks!

Indiana Filer

California. I have what I think is a simple question for someone who is familiar with the law . . . If two people are named in a civil suit (apartment rental unlawful detainer money judgement), is the "total judgement amount" stated (which is $2,300) the actual combined total for both people named in the suit, or is that what "each" of them will be ordered to pay? It appears to be the combined total, but since I'm unfamiliar with how these things work, I'm looking for clarification.

Thanks!
Look for the phrase "jointly and severally". If that's in there, it means that the $2,300 is the total amount due, and the Court doesn't care if one person pays it all and the other pays nothing, or if each pays half as long as the total of $2,300 gets paid.

deenorris

Look for the phrase "jointly and severally". If that's in there, it means that the $2,300 is the total amount due, and the Court doesn't care if one person pays it all and the other pays nothing, or if each pays half as long as the total of $2,300 gets paid.
Here is a article on Wikipedia that somewhat explains Jointly and Severally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_and_several_liability

I hope this helps some.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">