• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing an order of contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Questions36

What is the name of your state? CA

I have been divorced for almost two years. The divorce agreement includes specific items of debt that were assigned to either myself or my ex. My ex has missed numerous payments on the joint credit card he said he would pay.

My question is two fold: 1) how do I file an order of contempt in CA (form, where to get it, how to complete it, how to file it)? and 2 )does anyone know of a way I can legally get my name off of this credit card while there is still a balance? I have been told that credit card agreements are not subject to court orders. In other words, if my ex defaults completely the credit card company will come after me for payment, even though the court has ordered my ex to pay it. But I also know there are loopholes in the law so I'm hoping someone out there can help. This has been the biggest headache for me and I need to get it resolved.

Thank you for your help!

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? CA

I have been divorced for almost two years. The divorce agreement includes specific items of debt that were assigned to either myself or my ex. My ex has missed numerous payments on the joint credit card he said he would pay.

My question is two fold: 1) how do I file an order of contempt in CA (form, where to get it, how to complete it, how to file it)? and 2 )does anyone know of a way I can legally get my name off of this credit card while there is still a balance? I have been told that credit card agreements are not subject to court orders. In other words, if my ex defaults completely the credit card company will come after me for payment, even though the court has ordered my ex to pay it. But I also know there are loopholes in the law so I'm hoping someone out there can help. This has been the biggest headache for me and I need to get it resolved.

Thank you for your help!
NO ONE can tell you "how to complete" the form you seek. That would be, ya know, practicing law over the internet.

What you can do is google the CA Courts site for family law forms. There are, likely, instructions.

Plus, every county in CA has a self-help center. You can go to yours and get help. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">