• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Status and Thank You

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dreamweaver

What is the name of your state? MO

I want to thank everyone who offered me advice here on this forum. It made a big difference in calming my fears, and helping me know what to expect in the process.

Just as some predicted - We came to an agreement literally in the court room, as evidence was being marked by the recorder, his lawyer asked to speak with mine in the hallway. It seemed like they were gone forever. Basically, homes and furnishings were left as currently split between us, which is fairly equal, or close enough not to be worth haggling over. And, I agreed to a seperation so that he can keep the health care benefits, and survivors benefit on my pension. My reasoning on that was because I'd rather him have it to help the children with than for no one to get it, if something were to happen to me.

We were both advised of the fact that either party can request it be converted into a divorce after 30 days, and agreed and understood that the assest settlement would not be changed, were that to happen. I hope that will give him reason to be more civil to me from this point forward. I've always maintained the stance that I would prefer to be on a friendly basis, and have never disparaged him in all of this. I would like the same curtesy. We'll see**************

fairisfair

I want to thank everyone who offered me advice here on this forum. It made a big difference in calming my fears, and helping me know what to expect in the process.

Just as some predicted - We came to an agreement literally in the court room, as evidence was being marked by the recorder, his lawyer asked to speak with mine in the hallway. It seemed like they were gone forever. Basically, homes and furnishings were left as currently split between us, which is fairly equal, or close enough not to be worth haggling over. And, I agreed to a seperation so that he can keep the health care benefits, and survivors benefit on my pension. My reasoning on that was because I'd rather him have it to help the children with than for no one to get it, if something were to happen to me.

We were both advised of the fact that either party can request it be converted into a divorce after 30 days, and agreed and understood that the assest settlement would not be changed, were that to happen. I hope that will give him reason to be more civil to me from this point forward. I've always maintained the stance that I would prefer to be on a friendly basis, and have never disparaged him in all of this. I would like the same curtesy. We'll see**************
Good for you DW and best of luck to you all.:)

LdiJ

I am glad that it worked out for you too. However, you do realize that if a divorce happens, its unlikely that your company rules would allow him to keep the health benefits, and perhaps not the pension survivor's benefit either? I hope that you are not agreeing to something that you cannot honor.

Dreamweaver

I am glad that it worked out for you too. However, you do realize that if a divorce happens, its unlikely that your company rules would allow him to keep the health benefits, and perhaps not the pension survivor's benefit either? I hope that you are not agreeing to something that you cannot honor.
Yes, I had to check with our legal council at work to verify that he could be covered for health benefits and the pension survivor's benefit if we were legally separated, because apparently that is not the case for the majority of the plans.

If the divorce were to happen, he can not continue long term coverage under the health plan. The survivors benefit could continue it it was done with a QUADRO, but that was not part of the agreement. If there is a divorce, both of those options will be lost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">