• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nevada, ? about jurisdiction and mail that the clerks office sends you

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

veilora

Sorry I had no clue what forum to post this in:

I got married in Nevada, and lived in Nevada for almost a year. I moved back to CA, but divorcing in NV is cheaper and takes less time so I filed for Divorce in Nevada and have put an address of a friend of mine on all of my court documents. Since I started the Divorce process my friend has moved. I believe on 2 different occasions the Clerks office has sent me mail to my friends address, this last time, for instance, to tell me that my decree wasn't signed because I was missing something. My affidavit of resident witness has been completed an d filed but When I went to court to ask if the decree had been signed they informed me that it hadn't they handed me the manilla envelope they'd attempted to send me, the envelope has a big red "UNDELIVERABLE AS ADDRESSED FORWARDING ORDER EXPIRED" and inside was a document with Recieved 1-08-08, Recieved 1-21-08 and Recieved 2-4-08 stamped on it.

Well I live in CA but I still have mail forwarded from the address in Nevada where I actually lived (which I've never actually put on any of my divorce documents) so my question is, if I file a "Notice of Change of Address" and put the NV address that forwards to California will the Clerks office know?

More specifically, is there anyway the Clerk of the Court could flag my mail like collection agencies do and say "Inform us of new address if Mail is forwarded" or "Return if there is a forwarding order on the address" I have to go back to Nevada and refile my summary disposition and decree of divorce etc...and once it's signed the Clerk can mail me certified copies of the signed decree, (which would be more convenient than waiting two months before I visit Nevada again.)

I just don't want to find out all of a sudden that the court won't process the divorce because I filed in the wrong jurisdiction. My husband would never raise a fuss about it, I just wanted to take a short cut and now it's turning out to be a six month process...

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks and sorry again for the confusion as to what forum to post this in.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just wanted to take a short cut and now it's turning out to be a six month process...
So even with your fraudulent filings, its STILL going to take just as long as it would have in California. Ohhh, the irony!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">