• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mulitple Beneficiaries of Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mageni

What is the name of your state?
Missouri
I am the Executor of an estate with multiple beneficiaries. One of the beneficiaies is entitled to 1/4 of the proceeds from the sale of the house in this estate and refuses to sgin off on the sale. The property has been listed for almost a year and I feel fortunate that we have a Buyer willing to pay the apprasied value of the house which is $83,500.00. Her reason for not signing is that she feels she is entitled to a van that once belonged to her brother. She was not a beneficiary of her brother's estate. She is a beneficary of her brother's wife's estate.When he died he left his entire estate to his wife. This person is a beneficiary of his wife's estate. The van she is referring to was sold three years before this beneficary's sister -in-law passed away. I don't know how she can claim that it was a part of this estate, sincer her brother left it to his wife when he died. There are 10 other beneficiares who will divided the other 3/4 of the proceeds They are very upset with this person and want to know if they can do anything legally to make her sign off. Please Help!

tranquility

If the house is still in the estate, the beneficiary doesn't have any rights to object to the sale. However, make sure you have a professional opinion regarding the need for a sale before you make it or you could be sued for a breach of fiduciary duty. Otherwise, just distribute the property to the four, wipe your hands on your pants, and let them fight it out.

mageni

Multiple Beneficiaires

There is a beneficiary deed on the property. How can I sell the property unless they all sign off on the sale?

tranquility

If the beneficiaries already have the property because of the deed then,
wipe your hands on your pants, and let them fight it out.
Bitching edit:
Although I am uncertain why you left out that VITAL FACT which gets to the KEY ISSUE and instead talked about how everyone is mad at each other. The remedy at this time is deal or partition lawsuit.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Send her a letter stating what she could lose if she doesn't sign off--what is her share of the estate worth? What is the van worth? Explain in the letter that the van is a separate issue that must be handled outside of probate and also mention what happened with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">