• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex ruining my credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cnscollison

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I purchased a house with an ex boyfriend in 1997, we broke about a year later. I let him have the house and he was supposed to have my name removed from the loan. I assumed that he did, when about 5 yrs later I was decline for a credit card and when I asked to them to send the explanation as to why, I received a credit report showing numerous delinquencies to the mortgage company. The late payments started in 1998 a few at a time, but by 2003 they were getting 3-4 mths behind. I didn't know what to do or what I could do, 2 years ago a co-worker told me to talk to his sister who was an attorney and dealt with real estate law. I retained her at that time, and we were trying to force him and his wife to re-finance. They had agreed through their attorney at that time to reimburse me $1000.00 for my legal fees and we did get a letter signed by my ex stating that all the late payments were his responsibility and in no way mine and that he had failed to get my name off the loan as promised. After a few months their attorney quit practicing and my attorney was eventually able to contact them directly to find out what their plans were. She gave them the name of a mortgage broker to go through since their credit was obviously bad at this point. They had contacted him and were making arrangements to have him purchase the property and buy it back on contract to get my name off the loan. This was around January of 2007, for the next year they were leading us on to believe that everything was proceeding, it was always just one more thing, and we even got confirmations from the broker. At that point they had paid $200.00 of the $1000.00 and said they were going to pay the remaining amount from the closing costs. The last contact we had from the ex and his wife was in December 2007 stating that it would be a matter of weeks and the house would be refinanced. Since then, nothing and the house is now in foreclosure, and the lender will not respond either. I have endured over $3000.00 in legal fees, including every time my attorney spoke with them directly, and my credit has been ruined for the past 8 years. I have run my credit report and have nothing else that is negative on it, just this one huge delinquency. Is it worth my time to sue them in civil court and ask for reimbursement for attorney fees and damages? I know that limit to sue is $5000.00, which won't help my credit, but would help with the fees I've already incurred. Also, if this would be worth my while, can I sue each of them for $5000.00 or are they considered a unit since they are married? I want some vindication since I can't buy a home, a vehicle, or even get a credit card on my own without paying outrageous interest rates, for something I didn't have any control over.

cnscollison

No-an attorney at the time I moved out advised me to sign a quit claim deed and he would keep it on file, I expicitily told him not to submit it until my name was off the loan, and he gave it to the ex at some point. I don't know when. My current attorney was filing a motion to put my name back on the deed, since it was removed under false pretenses, but since we were under the impression that they were proceeding with the refinancing, we didn't follow through with that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This entire situation has come about due to YOUR lack of attention to your financial affairs.
You signed a quit-claim with no proof that you were removed from the loan. YOU are just as responsible for the loan as your ex is.

EDIT: Have you asked the prior attorney about this?

cnscollison

I signed it at the advice of my attorney, he is the expert not me. I told him to keep it on file until my name was off the loan.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I signed it at the advice of my attorney, he is the expert not me. I told him to keep it on file until my name was off the loan.
Have you spoken to THAT attorney about his actions?
And, honestly, I'm not sure how you remember that so clearly when you didn't remember for FIVE YEARS to check and see if the loan had been refinanced...

cnscollison

He is of course no longer practicing, he was disbarred. I remember so clearly, because my family was very adamant about it. I was 21 and didn't really think about it I guess, he said he would and I believed him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">