• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take my ex to court for money I lent him

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loulou214

I'm in Georgia
2003-2005 while living with my now ex - he bought a house we moved in together, we were living together before that as well..I gave him money for the house, to build, deck, fence, put charges on my home depot account for the house to.. We verbally agreed if we were to split he would pay me back for anything I paid for in the house. WE never signed an agreement, but I have emails between us detailing what he owes me and his promise to pay me back, he had made two payments in the amount of 300.00 already - but that was last year. The total is around $8,000. SHould I try and sue in civil court, realizing I don't have an official agreement - just the emails - would it be worth it for me to try.

Hot Topic

What do you mean the total is "around" $8,000? You should have receipts for what you bought that provide an exact figure.

You can take him to court, but keep in mind that most of the money will probably go to your attorney.

loulou214

I do have the receipts and credit card statements, also I have a friend who would represent me for a very small fee

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">