• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can i protect my son and myself?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kc061776

What is the name of your state? east northport n.y.
stay at home mom with 4 yr old son. husband walked out 2 1/2 mths ago, keeps threatning to stop paying bills, keeps talking about coming home but i believe he has no intention of it. how do i protect myself and my son?

Just Blue

stay at home mom with 4 yr old son. husband walked out 2 1/2 mths ago, keeps threatning to stop paying bills, keeps talking about coming home but i believe he has no intention of it. how do i protect myself and my son?
File for divorce and child support. Get a job and pay your own bills.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to get a job. YOu need to be self sufficient. You need to file for divorce, custody and child support. In that order.

kc061776

You need to get a job. YOu need to be self sufficient. You need to file for divorce, custody and child support. In that order.
thank you for the advise, but i also heard that filing for custody first will help the out come of this mess. is that true?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
thank you for the advise, but i also heard that filing for custody first will help the out come of this mess. is that true?
Ohiogal is an attorney. I'm sure she's told you the proper steps to take in the proper order.

Last edited:

tuffbrk

No one can predict the outcome. Realistically - you haven't noted how long you've been married, whether your current husband is Dad to your son, why you are not working (medically incapacitated, SAHM by choice, etc.), how you plan to support yourself and your son.

Your husband claims he is going to stop paying bills but then says he is going to come home. You dont' say if he is living at an alternate residence, with a friend, at his parents, etc. I wouldn't count on him returning if you aren't actively pursuing counseling.

Begin searching for employment, explore caretaking for your son, and understand how much money you need to have to live and support yourself and your son. File for divorce, discuss with your attorney how to ensure he covers the bills he currently does until such time as you actually get to court to be divorced. Hopefully by then you'll be gainfully employed and have arranged for your child to be taken care of while you're at work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">