• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support / Sale of Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MO

My Stepmonster was awarded a life estate on my father's house. My father left house to me and my brother, with life estate as long as stepmonster paid taxes, paid insurance and maintained home. I understand that in MO, widow is entitled to one year's support after spouse's death. There is NO money left in estate (she stole all of the personal property) and the remaining asset is the house. My question is: if we have to pay her and sell the house, will we be required to give her anything else besides the one year's support?

Thank you for all of your help.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? MO

My Stepmonster was awarded a life estate on my father's house. My father left house to me and my brother, with life estate as long as stepmonster paid taxes, paid insurance and maintained home. I understand that in MO, widow is entitled to one year's support after spouse's death. There is NO money left in estate (she stole all of the personal property) and the remaining asset is the house. My question is: if we have to pay her and sell the house, will we be required to give her anything else besides the one year's support?

Thank you for all of your help.
You can't sell the house with a Life Estate.

Thanks!

Baystate Girl,

Thank you. It looks like we can't payt the support, so until she dies (or creates waste), she will receive no money because the only asset is the house!

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">