• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

person won't give me MY equipment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josejose

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I let a friend borrow some expensive audio equipment so he could DJ. Due to personal issues we've had a severe falling out and I asked for my equipment. At first he said he'd rent a truck and drop it off. Then he told me I'd have to rent a truck to pick it up. Now he's just not communicating at all. It's been two months and I don't have my equipment which is worth between $2,000 and $3,000. I have receipts that show the equipment is mine. I also have witnesses that the equipment was just being borrowed. But a friend said the court will just award money damages. I don't want money, I want my equipment. What do I need to do to start to get my stuff back?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I let a friend borrow some expensive audio equipment so he could DJ. Due to personal issues we've had a severe falling out and I asked for my equipment. At first he said he'd rent a truck and drop it off. Then he told me I'd have to rent a truck to pick it up. Now he's just not communicating at all. It's been two months and I don't have my equipment which is worth between $2,000 and $3,000. I have receipts that show the equipment is mine. I also have witnesses that the equipment was just being borrowed. But a friend said the court will just award money damages. I don't want money, I want my equipment. What do I need to do to start to get my stuff back?
Start with the police...
If that doesn't work, you can use small claims to attempt to recover the VALUE of the equipment (as you already know).
If you want a court to order the RETURN of the equipment, you'll need to take it to a higher court. Unfortunately, that will likely end up costing more in the long run than just getting the value of the equipment in small claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">