• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex not paying bill wants to deed home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diz

What is the name of your state? CA - Few questions...A little background first. We agreed in our divorce that whom ever lived in the home would pay the bills. He is living in the home and is now saying that he can't afford it and not going to make the April house payment and is going to fill out the papers to deed the house to the bank. He says he can do this since he's living there and there's nothing I can do. I can't afford to live there either. We also agreed that if either of us lived in our joint owned motorhome that that person would take full responsibility for the motorhome. He plans on living in the motorhome after giving the house up. He is now saying that he'll take over full responsibility of the motorhome (has a negative equity) if I drop either spousal support or what he owes me in his 401K. Since this just happened I haven't pulled out our paperwork to see what it actually says...he claims that it doesn't say anything about our motorhome agreement (I know it was agreed upon verbally but not sure the wording in paperwork).

1) I've heard that I can deed the home to him - how do I do this and how does this protect me? Does he have to agree?

2) If the paperwork doesn't say anything about the motorhome (living in it) situation, can he continue to ask me to pay for 1/2 of it's payment and live in it?

3) If it comes down to that I have to give up support or 401K, which would it be most benificial for me to keep? 401K is worth $10,000 - support is worth $16,000 if I continue it for the next 3 years (not getting married or if he tries to get it dropped/reduced). I would assume the 401K because I have to claim support on my taxes and IF I do get married again (not planning on it) or there are any other changes then I could loose it completely AND still not have the 401K.

Not sure if these questions are posted under the correct forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">