• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nsiddiqui1

What is the name of your state? Georgia.

I got married in a Georgia court (Gwinnett county) on November 30, 2007. Me and my legal wife were suppose to get our religious wedding performed in few weeks but due to personal differences that never happened. We NEVER consumated the marriage and NEVER lived together from the very first day of legal/court marriage. It was initially an arranged marriage (planned by elders of the family but with our initial approval) but after the legal marriage when me and my legal wife communicated we found we have different goals in life. One big difference is I do not want to have kids (at least for several years) and she does.

Based on the above description, can we file for an Annulment in Georgia due to these two primary reasons:
1. Never lived together and never consumated the marriage.
2. I dont want to have kids and she does but we discovered this AFTER the legal marriage.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia.

I got married in a Georgia court (Gwinnett county) on November 30, 2007. Me and my legal wife were suppose to get our religious wedding performed in few weeks but due to personal differences that never happened. We NEVER consumated the marriage and NEVER lived together from the very first day of legal/court marriage. It was initially an arranged marriage (planned by elders of the family but with our initial approval) but after the legal marriage when me and my legal wife communicated we found we have different goals in life. One big difference is I do not want to have kids (at least for several years) and she does.

Based on the above description, can we file for an Annulment in Georgia due to these two primary reasons:
1. Never lived together and never consumated the marriage.
2. I dont want to have kids and she does but we discovered this AFTER the legal marriage.
Is there a particular reason why a civil (not religious) annulment is important to you? The reason why I ask is that in general, its quicker and easier (and less costly) to divorce civilly, than to obtain an annulment.

If a civil annulment is important to both of you, then I suggest that you jointly consult a local attorney.

nsiddiqui1

The main reason I wanted to opt for civil annulment (versus a divorce) is that I have been divorced once in the past. I have heard that if you get an annulment then legally it does not count as a divorce (legally) when you are either getting married again or doing any sort of legal paperwork - such as sponsoring a person for immigration benefits where you have to declare your past marriages etc.

Do you know if annulment still counts as ONE PAST MARRIAGE (just like a divorce does) when filling out any future paperwork etc?

LdiJ

The main reason I wanted to opt for civil annulment (versus a divorce) is that I have been divorced once in the past. I have heard that if you get an annulment then legally it does not count as a divorce (legally) when you are either getting married again or doing any sort of legal paperwork - such as sponsoring a person for immigration benefits where you have to declare your past marriages etc.

Do you know if annulment still counts as ONE PAST MARRIAGE (just like a divorce does) when filling out any future paperwork etc?
You not only need to be consulting with a local attorney, but perhaps with an immigration attorney as well.

However, I suspect that if your current marriage is an immigration issue, and any paperwork was filed, that its going to effect immigration issues either way.

nsiddiqui1

Hi LdiJ,

Thanks for your concern. We have already taken care of immigration issues via necessary paperwork. My main question to you was:

"Do you know if an annulment still counts as ONE PAST MARRIAGE (just like a divorce does) or is it like you were never married?"

LdiJ

Hi LdiJ,

Thanks for your concern. We have already taken care of immigration issues via necessary paperwork. My main question to you was:

"Do you know if an annulment still counts as ONE PAST MARRIAGE (just like a divorce does) or is it like you were never married?"
I don't know. That's an immigration issue which is why I suggested that you consult an immigration attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">