• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are lawsuits public record??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smilincat2

What is the name of your state? I live in Pennsylvania. Are lawsuits public record?? My ex owes me over $18,000 in child support payments. The court officer advised me if I can obtain the lawyer info the settlement money can be intercepted. How would I go about obtaining this info??

las365

What kind of settlement are you talking about?

Lawsuits and the documents filed in them are public record. If a judgment is entered awarding money to a Plaintiff, that is part of the public record. Most settlement agreements are not filed with the Court. If a settlement is reached, the suit is simply dismissed.

If you bring a contempt action for non-payment of child support, I presume that you could get the information regarding the settlement through discovery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">