• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bitter Friend - Theft/Property Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nfhare

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I have a former roommate who had his house forclosed this month. When he moved out, he took 2 plasma tvs, and other furniture that belonged to me. He texted me that he wasnt going to return them unless i paid him $2500, because he feels they are his items because they were in HIS house and the house was in his name(depsite the fact i paid the mortgage and lived there as well). What do i do? Call the police? File a lawsuit? What if he sells the items before i can reclaim them? Whats the best thing to do?

Rexlan

You were not asked the question in the first place ..lol. Yes I would call the authorities if I was robbed but that isn't what occurred based on the information.

But the OP was sleeping with the guy (some stranger) and all he did was take things that were in his house which he said were his .... that is not stealing and that is not a criminal act. Additionally, where was OP during all of this. Doesn't wash.

deenorris

Explain why that is the first step.
I thought it would be self-evident.

The former roommate is under the mis-impression that possession conveys ownership. In my experience, a visit from the local sheriff usually clears that up very quickly. Especially, if the owner has receipts and the possessor does not.

It also clearly establishes a demand for return of property as well as lays the basis for an argument of intentional conversion if the possessor then sells the property.

What would you have done?

Last edited:

Rexlan

I would not have called the authorities as they have no jurisdiction. This is a domestic argument ... he said she said. The authorities have no business getting involved and it is not the taxpayers responsibility to sort it out for the OP.

However, if OP is being truthful then she can take a warrant on the other party with a sworn affidavit and he will be charged with theft. Then the sheriff will get involved and the person will be arrested because that makes it a criminal matter. But, if OP is BS'ing just a little then she will quickly find herself in the frying pan and she may enjoy some free hotel time. When you call the authorities it is a serious matter not to be taken lightly.

I disagree with your entire premise because of trying to wrongly involve the authorities with no evidence or facts. The sheriff can not prove or disprove anything and contact does not establish anything other than the fact that they were called. The sheriff is not a mediator, they are law enforcement.

I think the first steps have been taken. I would conclude they have already argued over the items and the guy told her he was keeping them. There is no way she was robbed or that the item were stolen == no criminal action (yet).

A demand letter would be a much better vehicle to start establishing the facts. People are too quick to think they get a free pass by using the authorities to do their dirty work. There is probably considerably more to is story and it is not the taxpayers job to sort it out for the OP.

If she can prove that the items are hers, not gifts to the guy, then she needs to take it to small claims and get it settled. It is a civil matter, not criminal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">