• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hid Assets/Inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I've been divorced for three years. Was married for 10 years. About 5 years into our marriage, the ex-wifes father passed away. She denied the existence of a will or inheritance. We ended up divorcing and during that time we requested for her to produce information on the will and any trusts established. She denied in written response that any existed.

Fast forward to now, was in support court because ex-wife is seeking more support money. Both sides asked the other to produce documents. She produced a document showing a trust for her in her fathers name. What's most troubling is my parents have gifted money/stock to us during our marriage from their estate, and I cashed that in to pay for home improvements, cars... all of which she kept. I told my lawyer I want to go after that money and he said:

"What you would be asking to do is undo your divorce settlement. However, if all we are talking about is her inheritance, the inheritance itself is non-marital property and not subject to distribution. Only the increase in its value from the date it was received if it was received during the marriage until the date you separated is marital property, unless she retitled it in joint names or commingled the inheritance, in which case that portion would be marital property. "

I feel as if I've been defrauded. Is there any way of suing her in civil court? I have documents proving she lied in her response to our request to produce. Would any lawyer take this case (it's a fair amount of money)?

Thanks.

CourtClerk

If you're willing to pay enough money, yes, a lawyer may take your case. Now, will you prevail in the end???? Probably not. Sounds like the ex got some sound advice as to what to do with the inheritance and kept it as separate property.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I've been divorced for three years. Was married for 10 years. About 5 years into our marriage, the ex-wifes father passed away. She denied the existence of a will or inheritance. We ended up divorcing and during that time we requested for her to produce information on the will and any trusts established. She denied in written response that any existed.

Fast forward to now, was in support court because ex-wife is seeking more support money. Both sides asked the other to produce documents. She produced a document showing a trust for her in her fathers name. What's most troubling is my parents have gifted money/stock to us during our marriage from their estate, and I cashed that in to pay for home improvements, cars... all of which she kept. I told my lawyer I want to go after that money and he said:

"What you would be asking to do is undo your divorce settlement. However, if all we are talking about is her inheritance, the inheritance itself is non-marital property and not subject to distribution. Only the increase in its value from the date it was received if it was received during the marriage until the date you separated is marital property, unless she retitled it in joint names or commingled the inheritance, in which case that portion would be marital property. "

I feel as if I've been defrauded. Is there any way of suing her in civil court? I have documents proving she lied in her response to our request to produce. Would any lawyer take this case (it's a fair amount of money)?

Thanks.
Even if she had produced the information when you divorced, it wouldn't have changed anything. If she did not comingle the inheritance it remained separate property, and would not have been subject to division, other than any accrual during the marriage. Your attorney is giving you correct legal advice.

Unfortunately, you chose to comingle the gifts from her parents, she did not choose to comingle her inheritance.

Unless you could find an attorney who believed in your case enough to take it on contingency, you would likely be throwing good money after bad.

Bali Hai

Even if she had produced the information when you divorced, it wouldn't have changed anything. If she did not comingle the inheritance it remained separate property, and would not have been subject to division, other than any accrual during the marriage. Your attorney is giving you correct legal advice.

Well that is why we have judges to decide this!! It COULD have affected equitible distribution of the marital property. She was and IS in contempt of court because she did not produce documentation of the inheritance!!

Unfortunately, you chose to comingle the gifts from her parents, she did not choose to comingle her inheritance.

Unless you could find an attorney who believed in your case enough to take it on contingency, you would likely be throwing good money after bad.
IF the ex-wife is seeking more ALIMONY in her latest litigation, her illegal non-disclosure of the inheritance asset certainly COULD have changed that outcome!!

In any event, she was in contempt of court when she did not produce documentation of the inheritance during discovery and again the courts simply turn their heads when a woman pulls this crap and throw the book at men when they do it!!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was under the impression that, if the asset was truly kept separate as a non-marital asset, then any increase of the value is also a non-marital asset. Again, ONLY if it was kept 100% separate...

Bali Hai

I was under the impression that, if the asset was truly kept separate as a non-marital asset, then any increase of the value is also a non-marital asset. Again, ONLY if it was kept 100% separate...

Separate or Nonmarital Property

Pennsylvania law allows separate or nonmarital property to generally escape the equitable distribution process. Nonmarital property includes property that a spouse brought into the marriage and kept separate during the marriage, inheritances received during the marriage and kept separate during the marriage, and property excluded by a valid prenuptial agreement. In addition, nonmarital or separate property may include gifts received by just one spouse during the marriage. However, the increase in value during the marriage of nonmarital property may be considered a marital asset if the increase in value was not excluded from consideration in a prenuptial agreement. Furthermore, if a husband or wife decides to use some nonmarital funds for a common purpose, such as purchasing a home in joint tenancy, that money normally will become marital property.

well, I guess I have my answer. I guess I'm more upset that for years I lived this lie and find out only now that she hid this from me whileit didn't even dawn on me to hide assets or refuse to share, because that is what married couples do. live and learn!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Separate or Nonmarital Property

Pennsylvania law allows separate or nonmarital property to generally escape the equitable distribution process. Nonmarital property includes property that a spouse brought into the marriage and kept separate during the marriage, inheritances received during the marriage and kept separate during the marriage, and property excluded by a valid prenuptial agreement. In addition, nonmarital or separate property may include gifts received by just one spouse during the marriage. However, the increase in value during the marriage of nonmarital property may be considered a marital asset if the increase in value was not excluded from consideration in a prenuptial agreement. Furthermore, if a husband or wife decides to use some nonmarital funds for a common purpose, such as purchasing a home in joint tenancy, that money normally will become marital property.
Thanks for the update - that's a "state-specific" thing ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">