• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cellular Phone Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Christie-3

I live in Georgia and signed a contract with a large cellular company. Since then we have had nothing but problems from them. My bill is never close to what I was told it would be, it is always $10-$20 more, even when I don't use all of the allotted minutes. Recently the company switched billing systems and told the customers that we may not get a bill for a month. When we did get the bill it was for two months combined and it was well over one hundred dollars (my monthly bill should be around $30). When I asked them to explain the charges no one has a good answer they all related it back to "the billing switch". I paid the bill for the two months when they assured me it would never be that high again. This month I received another bill that was $90 and took it to the local office. The billing clerk said there was an error and she would research the bill. She never called back so I called and went to the office every few days trying to get an answer. My phone was finally cut-off because I was waiting on the answer from the clerk. I went to the main office and complained and was told by the clerk there that the clerks at other offices "didn't know what they were talking about" and that I had to pay the money or they would send me to a collection agency. She told me that they had noted my calls in the computer system but that it didn't matter. I stupidly paid the money. I know this is a long question. I just want to know how to get out of the contract. They said I would have to pay $200 to break it. I feel it is their fault.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Yes you stupidly paid. But you need to tell them in writing that you will sue them for deceptive billing practices for that termination fee and all previous fees.

Then you go to your local better business bureau to help you take care of this/file this suit in on your own.

K

klove

Me Too!

I, too, have this same problem with a middle Georgia cellular phone company. It must be the same because they changed billing procedures and I got no bills for almost two months. I had already given my 30 day notice to discontinue the contract yet the phone wasn't turned off. I keep getting told something will be done, yet nothing ever is. I hope you will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau because I plan to do the same. Maybe if all of us getting this type of service do, something will be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">