• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-executors: What's the point?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cherry2007

What is the name of your state? Florida

4 siblings, 2 named co-executors....
One, (me) has done 99.9 % of the work.
There was obviously no logical reason for this decision way back when, but it's really gotten ridiculous. Any reasonable options?

tranquility

If you want my legal opinion based on much experience, please look up the lyrics to Edwin Starr's "War" and substitute the term "Co-executors" in place of "War".

tranquility

I agree with the import of your previous answer. Absent breach of fiduciary duty or agreement, there is nothing which can be done. Eventually, if nothing can be done, both would be in breach.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Florida

4 siblings, 2 named co-executors....
One, (me) has done 99.9 % of the work.
There was obviously no logical reason for this decision way back when, but it's really gotten ridiculous. Any reasonable options?
I agree with you.

I have NEVER seen co-personal representatives work out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with you.

I have NEVER seen co-personal representatives work out.
This is working out fine. The reason for having personal rep(s) is to make sure the estate is properly probated. Sounds to me like this probate is working just fine - what's the problem? ;)

Cherry2007

Thank you. I read between the lines here and this is what I conclude:

Better to have a co- that does nothing than one who is actively causing problems.

Doing nothing does not actually violate their fiduciary responsibility as long as there is forward progress unless I choose to do nothing, in which case the end result is 2 violators of fiduciary responsibility.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you. I read between the lines here and this is what I conclude:

Better to have a co- that does nothing than one who is actively causing problems.

Doing nothing does not actually violate their fiduciary responsibility as long as there is forward progress unless I choose to do nothing, in which case the end result is 2 violators of fiduciary responsibility.
That's the gist of it...now, if there is any compensation due to the PR's - you might have an argument about who gets how much...but that would be up to you whether to fight for that or not...personally, I expect to be the PR for my parents for free...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">