• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I keep the movies that I didn't order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jg1942

What is the name of your state? WV

A few days after moving to an apartment I was sent a box that just had my address but no name. So I opened it up and it had some DVD movies. Inside the box was a piece of paper that said "RECEIPT" and it had the person's name who used to live in my apartment. Now that person is asking for the movies. I was going to give them back but my sister told me that when you are mailed something that you didn't ask for then it is yours to keep. What are my rights to the movies?

fairisfair

A few days after moving to an apartment I was sent a box that just had my address but no name. So I opened it up and it had some DVD movies. Inside the box was a piece of paper that said "RECEIPT" and it had the person's name who used to live in my apartment. Now that person is asking for the movies. I was going to give them back but my sister told me that when you are mailed something that you didn't ask for then it is yours to keep. What are my rights to the movies?
zero, zip, zilch, nada.

enjay

Give the guy his movies or risk being charged with theft. YOU weren't sent anything. As indicted on the receipt, HE was. It will be very easy to prove to a judge who the rightful owners of the DVDs are.

Rexlan

You are lame ... what a sad question. I guess the other person is lucky it wasn't a social security check.

tranquility

Your sister is right in a way. If a company sends you unsolicited merchandise, you do not have an obligation to return or pay for it. However, if you take advantage of it or use it, you are liable to pay for it.

This is different. Here there was an error. The merchandise was not shipped to you, but to the previous person. A mistake was made. It was solicited merchandise which was sent in error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">